Stage 1

RITROVO DI PARTENZA

 

Caltanissetta

INCOLONNAMENTO

 

10:00

KM 0, VIA UFFICIALE

 

10:05

KM

 

69.1

ARRIVO

 

Agrigento

ORARIO DI ARRIVO

 

14:30

Stage 1 | 4 October 2020 | 69.1 km

Caltanissetta >
Agrigento

Caltanissetta

The first to inhabit the territory were the Sicans, who settled in various villages starting from the nineteenth century BC, but the current urban site and the name of the city are closely linked to the arrival of the Arabs who, after having landed in Marsala in 827, they had slowly colonized Sicily, along the Salso river.

Food and wine

Caltanissetta’s pastry shop undoubtedly has a main role, many sweets of Nissen origin, starting from the “Rollo ‘”, the “Raviola” with ricotta, the nougat and the famous “Sicilian Cannolo” which seems to have been born in Caltanissetta during the domination Arab.

Caltanissetta area an excellent red wine has been produced for years, from native Nero d’Avola vines and more recently a Grillo white wine with excellent characteristics has been produced. Several Nissene wineries that export beyond the strait (Masseria del Feudo, Tenuta dell’Abate)

Places of interest

The ruins of Pietrarossa Castle, Santo Spirito Abbey (XII cent.), Cathedral of Santa Maria La Nova (XVI cent.), Church of Sant’Agata al Collegio (XVII cent.), San Sebastiano Church (XIX cent.), Moncada Palace (XVII cent.), Churchyard of SS Redentore.

Agrigento

Agrigento is a city on the southern coast of Sicily, Italy and capital of the province of Agrigento. It was one of the leading cities of Magna Graecia during the golden age of Ancient Greece with population estimates in the range of 200,000 to 800,000 before 406 BC.

Places of interest

The Cathedral of San Gerlando stands on the Girgenti hill. It was the sign and symbol of the resurgence of the Christian event in the Agrigento area. The mute bells resumed for three centuries under the Muslims.

Since its original construction, the current Cathedral of Agrigento has very little preserved, redone as it has been on several occasions. Only the interior of the basilica retains traces of the Norman layout with its Latin cross plan and three naves, but its structure, both external and partially internal, belongs to various reconstructions over the centuries. The sacristy houses magnificent eighteenth-century wardrobes which contained beautiful sacred vestments currently exhibited in the diocesan museum. Among the paintings in the cathedral the most famous is the “Madonna and Child”, attributed to Guido Reni (1575-1642). It represents the Madonna in the act of supporting the abandoned child in a deep sleep.

History

The ancient Greek city of Akragas, later called by the Latins Agrigentum, was founded around 580a.C by a colony of Geloi-Rodiensi, led by the ecists Aristoneo and Pistillo in the plain where today we find the remains of ancient temples and known worldwide as “The Valley of the Temples” (included by UNESCO in the list of World Heritage Sites). Akragas was limited to the west by the Hypsas river (Dragon) and to the south by the Akragas river (San Biagio). The acropolis was built in the place now occupied by modern Agrigento. From the beginning the city had its own emporium on the sea. Today, in the year 2020, celebrations are underway in Agrigento for the 2600 years of history since the foundation of the city.